Sunday, July 27, 2008

One Local Summer wk8: back in the game

one local summerAlthough I missed writing a post for Week 7 because of my self-imposed exile, I didn't skip out on eating locally. As has been the theme throughout this challenge for me, I've found that the majority of my food each day is local—that includes an all-local meal each day even if it's "just" a salad and a sandwich or eggs and toast. But for this week I've taken the time to photograph some all-local meals so they "count" for the challenge.

You'll notice the focus on meat in these. I am an unabashed omnivore, and I am a huge fan of Eaton Beef. Thus the focus on the meat. I'm going to quote from Jim's blog on just why we love Eaton Beef:
Eaton Beef sells cuts of meat from their 100% grass-fed cattle. The cattle live a proper ruminant's life - they are not force fed rations of grain, they are not prematurely fattened, they are not raised in the festering shit swamps we euphemistically call feedlots - they graze grass and mature normally, and the meat we get from them is better for it and so are we. It's karmic, really. The cows are treated humanely and the meat they produce is healthier for us. It's rare to find cuts like those Eaton sells, most of the time if you want grass-fed, be ready to buy half a cow and clear your freezer out. It's a fitting place to worship during our Saturday morning ritual, especially since all ritual, as far as I know, began as a way to feel better about killing animals. Eaton makes the guilty nearly guiltless.
As an aside, I really think Jim needs a larger audience. The guy can write.

One Local Summer wk 8: hearty dinnerAnyway, even Eaton cube steak is good. I love cube steak. I'm not afraid to say it. I think I ate a lot of it as a kid because it was cheap. It wasn't the best cut of meat. Usually it was stringy and tough and just...not all that flavorful. But like I said, even Eaton cube steak is good. It tastes like a "regular" steak that just happened to be pounded flat.

Two bucks for a dinner consisting of 100% grass-fed beef? I'll take it! Also featured in this meal: a salad made with entirely local ingredients, and roasted potatoes and asparagus.


CUBE STEAK, POTATOES AND ASPARAGUS, SALAD
- cube steak: Eaton Beef, Colton WA (10mi)
- potatoes: Affinity Farm, Moscow ID (8mi)
- asparagus: from farmer whose name I can't remember but I got it from the Farmers Market, Moscow ID (8mi)
- mixed greens: Pokey Creek Organics in Santa, ID (60mi), purchased at the Moscow Farmers Market (8mi)
- radishes: Affinity Farm, Moscow ID (8mi)
- eggs: Hufford Farm, Deary, ID (33mi), via the Co-op (8mi)
- tomato: from another farmer whose name I can't remember but I got it from the Farmers Market, Moscow ID (8mi)
- cougar gold cheese: WSU Creamery, Pullman, WA (2mi)
- Wildbeary Huckleberry Poppyseed dressing, from Coeur d'Alene, ID (90mi), via the Co-op (8mi).
- not local: olive oil, salt, pepper


One Local Summer wk 8: really good sandwichI love a good sandwich, and the other day I taught Toria and Lauren how to make steak sandwiches and homemade mayonnaise. I figured I had better do it in my own kitchen as well otherwise I'd be running over to their house for leftovers all the time.

So here we have a steak sandwich with homemade mayonnaise, sliced tomatoes, grilled onions, and a wee bit of cheese on top.

STEAK SANDWICH
- deli-sliced steak: Eaton Beef, Colton WA (10mi)
- tomato: from a farmer whose name I can't remember but I got it from the Farmers Market, Moscow ID (8mi)
- onion: Affinity Farm, Moscow ID (8mi)
- eggs: Hufford Farm, Deary, ID (33mi), via the Co-op (8mi)
- baguette: Wheatberries Bakery, Moscow ID (8mi)
- cheddar cheese: WSU Creamery, Pullman, WA (2mi)
- not local: vegetable oil and dried mustard for the mayo


One Local Summer wk 8: featuring turnips!Finally we come to the meal I just ate a few minutes ago. It's a typical steak and [something] and a salad, but that [something] was interesting and delicious. In this case, the [something] was honey-glazed turnips.

I love root vegetables and I love honey, so when I saw this recipe at Serious Eats I immediately bookmarked it.

I finally got to make it and they were very good. I will buy more turnips next week for sure!


STEAK, HONEY-GLAZED TURNIPS, SALAD
- steak: Eaton Beef, Colton WA (10mi)
- turnips: Affinity Farm, Moscow ID (8mi)
- honey: Harvard Honey Bees, Princeton, ID (28mi), via the Co-op (8mi)
- mixed greens: Pokey Creek Organics in Santa, ID (60mi), purchased at the Moscow Farmers Market (8mi)
- radishes: Affinity Farm, Moscow ID (8mi)
- tomato: from a farmer whose name I can't remember but I got it from the Farmers Market, Moscow ID (8mi)
- cougar gold cheese: WSU Creamery, Pullman, WA (2mi)
- Wildbeary Huckleberry Poppyseed dressing, from Coeur d'Alene, ID (90mi), via the Co-op (8mi).
- not local: olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt


***************
Here's to more good eats!

Labels: ,