Tuesday, November 11, 2008

two years later, I offer some brief thoughts on a movie

Last night we watched The Prestige with our students. When this film came out (two years ago), I wanted to see it. I want to see a lot of movies, but rarely actually do for various and sundry reasons. But in 2006 I wanted to see The Prestige (and The Illusionist) if for no other reason than to continue the conversation that Mel started. But I'm not going to do that now (in grading jail).

I will say that I feel I stayed reasonably away from spoilers or any discussion of the film that would give away the secrets...and I found it remarkably easy to figure it all out early on. It was still enjoyable, because who doesn't love Batman vs. Wolverine, and I had a good time mock-threatening T with great bodily harm if any small animals were going to be harmed, but for the most part I thought it was pretty meh.

Then again, who am I to talk...we're showing Harold and Maude on Thursday and I'm pretty sure I'll have to answer for myself quite a bit with that one.

Labels: