Wednesday, October 3, 2007

fall semester sigh of relief

I think I made it over the hump. I thought the meetings meetings meetings would kill me, but they have not. We are not quite to the halfway point, but I have a big weight off my shoulders and can focus (for the most part) on the two seminar papers due at the end of the semester. I'm already working on them. I would like to give a big shout-out to my assigned mentor (more on that later) for handing me a paper topic. All I did was hand her some bullet items for a couple PowerPoint slides on the American Gothic, and she hands me a paper topic. I definitely got the better end of that deal!

Anyway, last night was the joint presentation for my Cultural Theory and Visual Culture seminar. Cultural Theory and Visual Culture are totally not my strengths. I'm way out of my comfort zone in that class (but doing fine, thank you very much), I am not a huge fan of group work (personally, not pedagogically), and the prof is one of those rockstarish folks you really want to impress. Thus the stress.

But! The presentation was on Foucault (a fave), specifically Discipline and Punish (also a fave), the fellow I was presenting with did a great job with his part and we had zero issues with division of labor and so forth, and I got to talk about The Simpsons a lot. What's not to love?

Labels: