Tuesday, September 4, 2007

random notes on a tuesday

* I almost wrote "on a monday" in the title. I was glad to have the Monday free of on-campus obligations. Typically, I am on campus on Monday from 7:30am until 6pm and I take my computer (it's not light) so by the time I get home I just crash hard almost right away. But free of on-campus obligations, I was able to do a lot of administrative crap (and finish that document) and sort of get ahead on that sort of stuff.

* Since I dealt with a bunch of crap all day yesterday but didn't get up early and go to the gym, I walked up to the library and got a few books. I finally have a handle on the library. The first time I went in there to get something, I wandered around all confused (and this was after our library tour during orientation, so I felt like an idiot). I finally realized that bound periodicals are shelved in with the books (and they circulate, although only for a few days at a time) and don't live in a special periodicals area. I'm not used to that, and it didn't even occur to me as I was walking around and around looking for the periodicals room (as opposed to the "current journals" room) that everything was just on the shelves. Duh. So this time, my third time in there (second successful trip), I think I've figured most of it out.

* Then again, I was getting books to look for readings for the writing sequence I'll have the students do next semester when I teach, so I was in the HDs and the GEs. That's new territory for me; I usually stick to PS. Oh well. We all need to branch out!

* If I had known the traffic spike that happens when you mention anything related to things in this post, I would have made sure to talk about more than just writing documents, liking football, going to school, and quail. But hey, that's what makes this a "life" blog.

* I paid my $2.40 share, and for that I am a bona fide member of The Run-Ons (the English grad student softball team). Hooray!

* I got a bunch of heirloom tomatoes at the farmer's market on Saturday. I love heirloom tomatoes. All I do is cut them into wedges and maybe throw a dash of salt on them, or some feta cheese. Good stuff.

* I made a bunch of food on Sunday; it should carry me through the week. Last week I moved a little too close to "just grab some crap food on the way home" territory. It might have been the free pizza at back-to-back workshops on Thursday afternoon/evening...I haven't had pizza since the first week I was here. Haven't had fast food since the second week I was here. That one taste of lovely, lovely pizza (actually, it was pretty darn good) almost pushed me over the edge into "oh, just get a pizza and eat it over several days" land, but I bounced back and went to "make a bunch of rice and beans and chicken because it's good for you" land instead.

* I didn't go to the gym today because I had some work stuff to get done this morning and a bunch of reading to do before I leave for campus. I will go tomorrow, though! I go at least three times during the week, often four times. I haven't gone five times/week since school started, but since I walk up and down hills all day I think that's fine.

Labels: