Thursday, February 15, 2007

"i'm going to blog this"

I don't know if it was the early hour or the lack of coffee or what today in class, but one of my students said something and I found it so funny and/or sad (depends on your perspective) that I said "I'm going to blog this."

We were talking about describing the absence of something, creativity bursting forth from destruction and all that, and I was making a comparison to plowing fields before planting a crop. At least, that's what I was trying to use as a comparison until I noticed they were all looking at me like I have three heads (not unusual).

[for those of you who think this doesn't sound very freshman-composition-y, just go with it]

So I asked if anyone had a garden or did some farming or otherwise knew the general process of prepping and planting something. One fellow quickly piped up with several steps to planting a successful crop and when he was finished he immediately said, "I don't know how I know that" followed by "Oh wait, it's from a video game I play: Harvest Moon." Several others nodded in agreement.

Perplexed, I asked about it. Turns out it's like a farming Sims game. "Have you ever thought about, you know, gardening?" I asked. Of course they hadn't.

From there, the conversation degenerated into a tangent on Second Life, which was also interesting...not because they were all into it already but because they didn't know what I was talking about and thought it was the strangest thing they every heard (except for one fellow, intriguing and bright, who is "totally going to check it out.").

So yeah, I think it was the lack of coffee, but it cracked me up.

Labels: